How To Apply
Download Prospective Student packet: MFA handout 2018
MFA Admission Requirements
MFA applicants must have an undergraduate baccalaureate degree from an accredited institution (BA, BFA, or BS), and MUST HAVE 24 credits in studio art and 9 in art history. Applicants must also have maintained a 3.0 GPA overall, and a 3.0 GPA in art courses.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: January 15th
Applications uploaded after the January 15th deadline will not be considered. From the pool of applicants we receive, we will accept some students for the fall and some for the following spring. If you are accepted for the fall, you may have the option to defer to the spring, but if you are accepted for the spring, you must start in the spring.
The MFA program is offered in six concentrations, of which you must select only one:
3. Printmaking/Drawing/Works on Paper
5. Clay and Casting
6. Combined Media (Installation, Performance and Video. NOT Mixed Media or Collage.)
The application process includes the following:
- General application ($75.00 fee)
- A statement of purpose describing work, your goals, and how attending Hunter will help you achieve those goals.
- Transcripts from accredited undergraduate institution (if you are unsure of the accreditation of your institution please contact Graduate Admissions prior to submitting your application: www.hunter.cuny.edu/graduateadmissions)
- Two letters of recommendation from former instructors, preferably professors who teach studio art.
- TOEFL score (if applicable). Applicants who have taken all or part of their undergraduate education in a country where English is not the native language must take the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) and earn a minimum score of 550 (Overall score – Speaking Componant = minimum 60 for the TOEFL IBT). Applicants may be required to submit an essay written in English, and/or complete a course in the English Department before being permitted to matriculate in the Studio Program.
- 10 Images (and or three minutes of video) submitted via Slideroom ($10.00 fee)
To complete the application, you will need to fill out the Hunter College Graduate Application for Admission here: https://app.applyyourself.com/?id=Hunter-G
You will also need to upload your portfolio at http://hunter.slideroom.com where you will be provided specific instructions about requirements for all work submitted online.
If you have any questions about your submission, please contact our office at
(212) 772-4995 or email@example.com.
Prospective Students / Visiting 205 Hudson Street
Tours of the MFA Program for prospective students will occur on the following dates. Please register at this link. Tours will begin on the 2nd floor near the Public Safety desk at 205 Hudson Street.
Thursday, October 3rd, 2019 – 4pm
Friday, October 25th, 2019 – 5pm (Open Studios starting at 6pm)
Thursday, November 14, 2019 – 4pm (Thesis Part I opening at 6pm)
Thursday, December 12, 2019 – 4pm (Thesis Part II opening at 6pm)
Those selected for an interview will be contacted by the Department of Art and Art History by early March. Please do not inquire about the status of your application.
Tuition and Fees
Students must pay tuition and fees in full at the time of registration. Financial arrangements for the payment of tuition and fees must be made by the student prior to registration. More information about tuition and fees can be found at: