How To Apply
MFA ADMISSION REQUIREMENTS
MFA applicants must have an undergraduate baccalaureate degree from an accredited institution (BA, BFA, or BS).
Applicants must have maintained a 3.0 GPA overall.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: January 15, 2023
- General application ($75.00 fee)
- A statement of purpose describing work, your goals, and how attending Hunter will help you achieve those goals.
- Transcripts from accredited undergraduate institution (if you are unsure of the accreditation of your institution please contact Graduate Admissions prior to submitting your application: www.hunter.cuny.edu/graduateadmissions)
- Two letters of recommendation from former instructors, preferably studio art faculty from your undergraduate institution.
- TOEFL/IELTS score (if applicable). Applicants whose native language is not English and who have taken all or part of their undergraduate education in a country where English is not the native language are required to submit scores on the TOEFL or IELTS. The following minimum scores must be obtained:TOEFL iBT: 80 (Overall score – Speaking Component = minimum 60 for the TOEFL iBT)
Paper Based Test: 550 / Computer Based Test: 213
IELTS: 6.5 Overall Band Score
Applicants may be required to submit an essay written in English, and/or complete a course in the English Department before being permitted to matriculate in the Studio Program.
- Ten Images and/or three minutes of video submitted via Slideroom ($10.00 fee)
To complete the application, you will need to fill out the Hunter College Graduate Application for Admission here: https://app.applyyourself.com/?id=Hunter-G
You will also need to upload your portfolio at http://hunter.slideroom.com where you will be provided specific instructions about requirements for all work submitted online.
Note: Those selected for an interview will be contacted by the Art Department by early March. Please do not contact the Art Department to inquire about the status of your application.
TUITION AND FEES
Students must pay tuition and fees in full at the time of registration. Financial arrangements for the payment of tuition and fees must be made by the student prior to registration. More information can be found at: https://hunter.cuny.edu/students/tuition-and-payment/
Financial Aid and Federal Work-study positions are available.
PROSPECTIVE STUDENTS / VISITING CAMPUS
Info sessions will be available for prospective students in the fall. Please sign up here: https://forms.gle/BjqSztpz6NL1J1HD6
Thursday, Oct. 6, 2022 – 4pm EST – In-person
Wednesday, Nov. 9, 2022 – 3pm EST – In-person
Thursday, Dec. 1, 2022, 1pm EST – Remote via Zoom
Contact the Art Department at (212) 772-4995 or email us at: email@example.com