How to Apply
Applicants must have an undergraduate baccalaureate degree from an accredited institution (BA, BFA, or BS), and must have completed at least 12 credits of undergraduate courses in art history and have maintained a minimum grade point average of 3.5 in those courses, with a minimum 3.0 index overall. Reading knowledge of German, French, Italian, or Spanish is required.
APPLICATION PROCEDURE DEADLINES
Fall Semester: February 1st
Spring Semester: October 1st
Qualified applicants may be considered past the application deadline
Applications may be submitted online at: www.hunter.cuny.edu/graduateadmissions
The application process includes the following:
- Two letters of recommendation from former instructors, preferably professors who teach art history.
- A statement of purpose (500 words or fewer) describing your academic interest in art history, relevant educational and professional experience, reasons for wanting to pursue an MA degree, long-term career objectives, and how attending Hunter will help you achieve your goals.
- A writing sample, preferably an undergraduate research paper or thesis on a topic related to your proposed area of concentration (but please submit your best work even if it does not conform to this preference). We recommend a paper of 15 to 20 pages, saved as a .pdf, but there is no page limit. Your document may include accompanying illustrations and bibliography, but it cannot exceed 500kb overall.
- Graduate Record Examination (GRE) scores. We require 153 or better for verbal and the top 20% for writing. Math scores are not factored into the application. GREs are waived for the upcoming Spring 2023, Fall 2023, and Spring 2024 admissions cycles.
- TOEFL score (if applicable). Applicants who have taken all or part of their undergraduate education in a country where English is not the native language must take the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) and earn a minimum score of 550 (Overall score – Speaking Component = 60 for the TOEFL IBT). Applicants may be required to submit an essay written in English, and/or complete a course in the English Department before being permitted to matriculate in the Art History Program.
TUITION AND FEES
Students must pay tuition and fees in full at the time of registration. Financial arrangements for the payment of tuition and fees must be made by the student prior to registration. More information about tuition and fees can be found at: http://www.hunter.cuny.edu/bursar/tuition-fees/tuition-and-fees-1